Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Edward

"Why does your sword so drip with blood,
Edward, Edward,
Why does your sword so drip with blood,"

I found this poem greatly annoying. The structure of the poem was frustrating in that it was essentially only about 28 lines long if you took out all of the repeated phrases. It just said the same thing over and over again. This also made it increasingly harder for me to grasp the concept behind the phrasing. I think Edward is a warrior or soldier of some sorts who is leaving to go fight. The speaker I don't think is pleased by this because they say things about Edward leaving his children and his wife. Ah! Ok, the speaker is his mother? And is he a king? King Edward? Because it says "what will ye do with your towers and your hall", meaning a castle, I'm assuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment