Thursday, January 26, 2012

Othello - Iago at the end of Act III

"Damn her, lewd minx! Oh, damn her, damn her!
Come, go with me apart. I will withdraw
To furnish me with some swift means of death
For the fair devil. Now art thou my lieutenant." (III iii 285)

This is the turning point in the play. Iago has just tipped the first domino in his master plan and is watching as they all come crashing down, falling right into place. He has finally been appointed to lieutenant, the job that he has wanted from the beginning of "Othello". I do not like Iago, but I cannot help but to admire the way he manipulated the situation in his favor. In this one act, he got revenge on Cassio, placed doubt and jealousy into Othello's mind, and then got himself the position he always wanted. He is an extremely bright and quick-thinking character. As I was reading the parts of the story that I should dislike Iago for, I couldn't help but smile at his clever, witty ways. I think this is mostly because of the fact that the story is told from his perspective. This would be totally different if it were told from one of the protagonists' point of views.

No comments:

Post a Comment