Thursday, February 16, 2012

"As You Like It" - major disappointment

"Proceed, proceed: we will begin these rites, as we do trust they'll end, in true delights." Act V.iv.78

This was one of the worst things we have read all year. The reason I am saying that is not because it was a beyond-belief-horrible play; it followed Othello, which was a fantastic play and one of my favorite things that we have read thus far. There was no real plot or driving force in the story. I feel as if Shakespeare wrote characters doing certain things just to write them. The series of events did not make much sense and the story was too underdeveloped. Othello was such a wonderful tragedy that had great characters and a suspenseful plot. As You Like It, however, had none of that. In the beginning, it started out pretty good with the whole, brother on brother hatred kind of thing. But that faded as soon as the characters all started to fall in love with on another. The plot did not really make sense. This would only be considered halfway decent to me if I was watching the play onstage and I wasn't into thinking too deeply. Other than that, Shakespeare really let me down on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment