Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Raisin In the Sun - Money, Money, Money

"So now it's life. Money is life. Once upon a time freedom used to be life- now it's money. I guess the world really do change..." - Mama

I think this book was sort of eye opening for a lot of people when it was published. It was for me. I know that there are people out there who never stop to think about the effects money has on the people who have the least of it. The Younger's, for example, have so little of it that they can hardly afford anything. This was most clearly demonstrated when Ruth was going to get an abortion because she didn't think that they could afford another baby. That is one of the saddest things to me. Whenever I think about abortions, I tend to think about young mothers who aren't ready to raise a child and don't want to go through the embarrassment of having to carry one for nine months. However, I never really think about the mothers who simply cannot afford to have a baby. That is something that deeply saddens me. Not only about the poor condition that people are raised in, but it also makes me sad about human dignity in general. I know I'm kind of going off topic here, but what kind of world do we live in that can afford to spend all this money to enhance our lives or make them longer, yet they cannot help those out who cannot simply afford to bring new lives into existence?

Anyways, this reinforced the idea that the family is centered so much around money. That check was the driving force for the plot and allowed all of their dreams to come true. Which raises the question: can money really bring happiness?

No comments:

Post a Comment