Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Frankenstein - point of view

"But I consented to listen, and seating myself by the fire which my odious companion had lighted, he thus began his tale.
'It is with considerable difficulty that I remember the original era of my being: all the events of that period appear confused and indistinct.' " p. 70

Point of view plays an integral role in the way this story is formed. In order to fully grasp what is happening in the plot, the reader must be able to keep up with exactly who's point of view this is all coming from. The quote that I have selected - and the point I am at in the story- is spoken by the monster. That monster is telling his tale to his creator, Frankenstein. Frankenstein is telling all of this to Walton who is relaying it to his sister in a letter. So as the story continues and changes, so do the storytellers. The changing point of view allows the reader to sort of hear all sides of the story. In a way, it makes it more like a movie or a play, where the viewer can see what is happening to all the characters. The changing voice also gives the reader a chance to understand what is occurring in the thoughts of the different characters. Each is going on his own specific journey and it is very interesting to find out how all of the journeys and stories interlock with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment