Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Frankenstein - What happened to Mel Brooks?!

"Unable to endure the aspect of the being I had created, I rushed out of the room, and continued a long time traversing my bedchamber, unable to compose my mind to sleep." p. 35

"Young Frankenstein" is a movie that I can recall watching at a very young age that easily put me in stitches. Yet, the thought of a completely crazy scientist (no one can deny that Gene Wilder was insane and just a tad creepy) creating a monster from bodies he obtained after an evening of grave robbing was a big pill for me to swallow as a kid. That one movie framed my entire belief on what this classic tale was all about. However, I could not have been more wrong. The differences between the book and the movie parody are numerous. For starters, the creation scene was much of the basis of the movie while Shelley got it over with early on in the book. Further, there was no evil laugh or lightening striking. Frankenstein in the book was even completely terrified of his creation. Another difference, and probably the biggest disappointment, was there was no Igor. I was really looking forward to him. Frankenstein in the book did his experiments in complete secrecy, whereas in the movie there was Igor, his sidekick servant, and various other people who I forget the names of.

No comments:

Post a Comment