Monday, April 23, 2012

The Great Gatsby - Gatsby Needs Some Friends

"You're sure you want me to come?" "Absolutely, old sport." p. 95

Gatsby is an interesting character. He frequently uses the phrase, "old sport", which to me, indicates some sort of friendship. However, Gatsby strikes me as a character who has little to no friends. While he is at his party, he stands on a balcony overlooking his guests and watching others have a good time. Nick sees him standing in his yard with his arms outstretched to a dock across the water. Later, we find out that he is doing that towards Daisy. I think all of this shows how lonely Gatsby is. I do see him receiving the friendship he needs with Nick and I hope things work out between him and Daisy because I pretty much hate Tom.

1 comment:

  1. Heeeyyyy!! =) Ok, so I had the same reaction as you and definitely wrote one of my blogs about his loneliness, I think. I also want Daisy and Gatsby's relationship to continue. I think that it may be the basis of the rest of the book, but I haven't read past chapter five to find out. Also, I think that Gatsby and Nick will become great friends but maybe not as great as friends as you and me are. You're the best! =)

    ReplyDelete