Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frankenstein - That's It?

"I shall collect my funeral pile, and consume to ashes this miserable frame, that its remains may afford no light to any curious and unhallowed wretch, who would create such another as I have been. I shall die. I shall no longer feel the agonies which now consume me, or be the prey of feelings unsatisfied yet unquenched." p. 166

I was very surprised by the abruptness to which this novel ended. There was this whole build up in the entire novel of exactly why Victor was chasing the creature when Walton found him. I was a bit disappointed in how it turned out. I thought there would be some giant fight or, at the very least, a conflict resolution. No. The creature did not even have a chance to give his apologies to his creator. Victor just died. But before that could happen, he gave instructions to Walton to "thrust your sword into his heart" (p. 155). So, once again, I was expecting a battle between the two, and I was let down. I enjoyed this novel and I was really hoping that there would be some big ending that would either make me say, "Awwwwwwwwww" or drop my jaw to the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment