Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bartleby the Scrivener

"Ah, Bartleby! Ah, humanity!" p. 675

Ah , Melville! Why did you write such a horrific piece of literature?!

Both Bartleby and the narrator annoyed me the most out of all of the stories. Bartleby was downright annoying. The narrator knew this. Yet, he did nothing about it. Which makes the narrator equally as annoying. The narrator is very passive aggressive in a way. He is also a pushover. This is shown by how he does not do anything to Bartleby. But it is also shown in the fact that he lets these people work for him even though they are not really the best for it. I'm not sure if this is sympathy or just because he has no backbone. I did not really see any point to reading this piece of literature because it taught me no moral or lesson. Maybe it showed me what NOT to be like. I am not supposed to be like Bartelby. Check.

No comments:

Post a Comment