Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Interpreter of Maladies

" 'So these patients are totally dependent on you,' Mrs. Das said. She spoke slowly, as if she were thinking aloud. 'In a way, more dependent on you than the doctor.' "

This part of the short story really stuck out to me. Today, I job shadowed in the ER at the hospital so my mind is kind of already in the whole doctor-patient thing. So when this line was read, I little part of me perked up and payed closer attention. I never knew that jobs like that really existed. I mean, I guess I knew but I never really payed attention to them before. But that job is actaully really important. This is kind of sybolized throughout the entire story as well. Mr. Kapasi is like an interpreter in more ways than his job. At this point in the story, he is interpreting much more things than just a language. He is discovering through the use of body language and the how the couple acts around each other that they are no normal family and have some issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment