Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How I Met My Husband

"He always tells the children the story of how I went after him by sitting by the mailbox every day, and naturally I laugh and let him, because I like for people to think what pleases them and makes them happy"

What stood out to me the most while reading this short story was how the main character sort of settles in the end. I think this is a main theme throughout the story. This is shown by the fact that Edie always is looking for something more but deals with what is presented in front of her. For example, the part where she tried on the dress could symbolize her yearning for something more. This is also shown when she gives up on schooling after receiving the lowest marks. Because of these she does not expect much of herself and settles. Perhaps the part of the story that stood out to me the most as contributing to the theme was in the very end when she is waiting and waiting for this love letter to come, and it never does. The reader gets a tiny bit of hope that she will finally move on when she states that she does not want to spend her entire life waiting. Yet, that is taken away when Edie receives that phone call and -again- settles for Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment