Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Rose for Emily

"Alive, Miss Emily had been a tradition, a duty, and a care; a sort of hereditary
obligation upon the town..."

From the very beginning, the author set a mood that was sort of uncharacteristic (at least to me) of what they were writing. Further, the author was talking about a lady who had passed away and the whole town was in attendance for her funeral or showing. As a reader, I would expect the mood to be somber or something like that. However, the mood the writer chose was kind of nonchalant. The way they worded how people came to see her "like a fallen monument" and the women just because they wanted to see the inside of her house kind of surprised me a little. That then set the mood for the rest of the short story. Because the author forshadowed Miss Emily's death, the reader already knew what was going to happen and that it was not something they should feel saddness for. This carried out the whole way and actually made me expect the ending. I think the ending was meant to be an "Aha! moment" (as Ms. Sander would say), but the way the author presented the details in the story through the mood, I felt like I already knew the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment