Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Batter my heart, three-personed God

"But I am betrothed unto your enemy;
Divorce me, untie or break the knot again,"
In this poem, one thing that stuck out to me was this quote above. It mentions that the speaker (let's call it a he) is married to God's enemy. As we all know, God's enemy is sin (or the devil). The word betrothed gives the meaning that the speaker and sin are bound together. This reveals lots of truth about human life. We cannot escape sin, no matter how hard we try. It's simply in our nature. However, there is a little part in all of us -at least I like to think- that wants to deny sin and not give into the its temptations. Another part that stuck out to me was when he speaks to God saying, "Except (unless) you enthrall me, never shall be free, nor ever chaste, except (unless) you ravish me." This part seemed a little awkward to me. Never would I think to put God and ravishing in the same scenario. But this further proves the whole marriage idea behind sin and attempting to turn away from sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment