Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Widow's Lament in Springtime

(I'm going to start off saying that blogger does not really work on my laptop all that well, so I've been writing my posts all out and posting them at once... is that alright? Because I'm now seeing that you said to post them separately...)
After reading through this poem and then looking over the suggested questions, number eight really stuck out to me. An obvious tone of this poem -to me at least- was depressing. Even though she was talking about beautiful flowers and other things that usually are paired with happiness or content thoughts, she stated them in a sort of mournful way. It is apparent that her husband died as the title states she is a widow and it jumps out at you throughout the poem. However, I had to dig deeper to find just how she felt about it. When she says towards the end that she wants to "fall into those flowers and sink into the marsh near them" I feel like that is her giving up and giving in to her depression. Maybe, she ultimately is hinting at an eventual suicide. What leads me to this was she said "sorrow is my own yard". When she talks about all the things that are outside her yard, it makes me belive that her sorrow is like a prison to her and to escape it this she must leave to go out to the flowers. And the only way to do this, and to be with her husband, is throught suicide, further carrying out the tone of depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment