Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I Felt a Funeral, In My Brain

This poem was greatly confusing to me, and I feel like that may have been Emily Dickinson's objective; to confuse her reader a little. The central theme of this poem is insanity. The speaker in this poem had something happen to them that caused them to lose their mind. This final breaking point that I observed was in the last stanza: "And then a Plank in Reason, broke, And I dopped down, and down-". Once I read this, I reread the whole thing and it began to make sense. The funeral she was descibing was -to me- a death of some idea or constant in her life, leading her break down. Another thing that added to the them of the poem was at the very end of the poem it just ended. Midthought, the speaker stopped. This could mean that the speaker had lost the ability to use words and finally suck into insanity, or maybe even death.

No comments:

Post a Comment