Friday, July 8, 2011

Brave New World: 14

NOT YOUR TYPICAL RAY OF SUNSHINE

"When he had finished, he picked up the whip and began hitting himself again. Nine, ten ,eleven, twelve..." page 248

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8V_6M4lmgY

The whole time John was in the picture, I thought he was going to be this cool guy who comes in and figures out the whole mess, saving the city and the people in it from the destructive lives they were living. Unfortunately, I was very wrong. He ends up going crazy and flees to live on the outskirts of town. There, he basically tortures his body in order to rid himself of any impurities. My first thought was, "OK, that's a little bizarre." But as I continued reading, I couldn't help thinking, "where have I seen this before." Then the answer hit me: from those strange, bloody scenes in "The Da Vinci Code". John is just like the character of Silas! Even though I genuinely liked John and I really did not like Silas, I couldn't help but notice the similarities once he started hitting himself with that whip. I attached a short video from one of Silas' self-torture scenes from "The Da Vinci Code". Even though it does not show the whipping, I think the general message gets accross that the two characters are just alike -in that way, that is.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes. I watched that YouTube clip (well, I tried to watch it, but it was too gross). Yikes.

    ReplyDelete