Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Brave New World: 3

ALLUSION

"...and where was Odysseus, where was Job, where were Jupiter and Gotama and Jesus? Whisk- and those specks of antique dirt called Athens and Rome, Jerusalem and he Middle Kingdom- all were gone..." page 35

Huxley's use of allusions is perhaps one of the only things I have liked so far about this book. This really allowed me to see just how far this community has strayed away from our current culture. It is kind of unreal to think about how (very possibly) the future generations will have no idea who these people are or what events took place. In addition, my curiosity rises and I wonder if we aren't going to see more of these allusions as someone not yet introduced in the book will discover the meaning behind these historical references.
These allusions gave me a lot of insight into the writer as well. I figured he would focus more on Jesus. However, he only briefly mentioned Him. Huxley does talk about Christianity a few times which makes me wonder if he was a Christian himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment