Thursday, July 7, 2011

Brave New World: 7

ONE COMMUNITY?

"Well, I don't know. You get them out of bottles. And when the bottles are empty, you send up to the Chemical Store for more. It's the Chemical Store people who make them, I suppose. Or else they send to the factory for them. I don't know. I never did any chemistry. My job was always with the embryos." page 130

I think it is extremely odd and kind of unsettling that everyone in the society has one specific job. From the very beginning they are created in the lab, there is a predestined route that they are to take. I cannot imagine living a life where all my decisions are made for me. It would be absolutely terrible if my path was laid out before me and there was no way of me even knowing of anything different. But what stands out to me the most about this, is that the creators and directors are so set on making sure that everyone is for everyone and all are needed to make the community run smoothly and efficiently. However, no one even knows what everyone else does. They are just set on what they do and are somehow content. As someone who loves to learn new things, I can't imagine having nothing else to fill my brain with. To do the same thing everyday, never moving forward or gaining new knowledge, would be horrendous.

No comments:

Post a Comment