Monday, July 4, 2011

Brave New World: 2

DEAD METAPHOR (CLICHE)

"The students took it down in their little books. Straight from the horse's mouth." page 28

I have been hearing the cliche "straight from the horses mouth" for as long as I can remember. However, I never really understood the full meaning behind it. So after a quick search on Google -where else is there, really?- I found a short definition: from the highest authority. Finally connecting the phrase with the meaning I was able to fully understand what the author was trying to tell with this overused metaphor. The director seems to have this odd presence about him. He throws out commands left and right and has this tone of authority. A tone that none of the students would dare reckon with. In contrast, I as the reader want to know more about this Director guy. Why is everyone doing everything that he says? Why does he come off as sort of menacing? What made him be where he is at currently in this book? According to my Google search, if he is the horse, then HE is the one in charge. I look forward to figuring this character out and discovering what makes him the horse.
(But because he is coming off as a strong, close-minded authority figure, I can already tell I don't like him.)

1 comment: