Friday, July 8, 2011

Brave New World: 20


FINAL THOUGHTS

I'm not going to lie: this novel made it in the top five worst books I have ever read. I've read a lot of books. Nevertheless, I do see some value in reading this. For one, it was unlike any book I had ever read. So that was interesting. Another is, perhaps for the first time, I got to see an ideal society from someone else that was way different from mine. Perhaps this new, weird culture was Huxley's idea of a Utopia. It makes me wonder what was going on in his life that would inspire him to write this. Maybe he had lost all hope and this society sounded ideal to him. No choices, no decisions. A guaranteed happy life. Sounds pretty nice to me.

However, I did not like or expect the ending to be the way it was. John committed suicide? But he was supposed to be the hero and this wasn't supposed to be a tragedy. But if he was able to escape the terrible world he was in, then I guess I could see some sort of grim happiness in the ending. I severely hope that the next book has a little more of an upbeat and easily comprehensible ending.


1 comment:

  1. Annemarie,

    I mentioned this in some other comments, but make sure all entries include an excerpt. It guides your responses toward more concrete analysis.

    Your entries reflected sincere thought, which is appreciated. Even if the book wasn't of your personal taste, being able to set that aside and discover some meaning in the work will serve you well throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete