Friday, August 12, 2011

Never Let Me Go: 1

POINT OF VIEW

"My name is Kathy H. I'm thirty-one years old, and I've been a carer now for over eleven years." p. 3

As the book first opens up with this sentence, I was very happy to read that it was in first person. I don't know why, but I seem to always get into books more when they are written in that style. Kazuo Ishiguro (try saying that ten times fast) made an excellent decision to tell the story using this point of view. I feel as if I was listening to someone tell me a story in real life rather than reading a dull, third party point of view on something that happened once upon a time. The way Kathy tells her story is all over the place. I love it. That is how all of my friends -and probably just about every other human being- tells stories. Ishiguro really understood this and used it to his benefit. Nothing is really chronological, but I feel as if that kept me on my toes and, quite frankly, as interested as I was in the story of Kathy, Ruth, and Tommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment