Friday, August 12, 2011

Never Let Me Go: 9

SYNECDOCHE

"Someone would wander up and ask: 'What's the sound?' and if they liked the answer, they'd sit down on the grass and wait their turn." p. 103

This synecdoche is making the word 'sound' represent the tapes that the students would play. At first, I did not even realize that sound was not the same thing as the music and had to have it dawn on me while later reading the literary terms sheet. Very well played, Mr. Ishiguro. Daily, they would all sit around and listen to music, passing around headphones. It was written that they would only hear twenty seconds or so of each song but in the end, they thought they had heard the whole tape. This is very different from my usual routine. While we do still sit in circles and listen to music, we now have fancy high tech speakers and such so everyone can listen. Nevertheless, I thought this was pretty cool. I have a huge passion for music of all types. So I thought it was kind of neat how the author incorporated this into the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment