Friday, August 12, 2011

Never Let Me Go: 20




THE END

"I mean, don't you get tired of being a carer? All the rest of us, we became donors ages ago. You've been doing it for years. Don't you sometimes wish, Kath, they'd hurry up and send you your notice?" p. 282

At the end of this, I fully respect Kathy. I never really thought about how lonely she must feel until this point in the book. She has to be worn out with all of the traveling. And it wasn't until recently that she even found people that she loved and could stay with. And now they are all dead, and she is still stuck taking care of people. But I guess that's just how Kathy is. Always doing things for others instead of doing what's right for her. This ending was sort of melancholy. She was still fairly upbeat it seemed. I can tell you one thing: I certainly would not be. However, I enjoyed this book. I didn't think it a chore while reading it. I loved the character of Kathy and grew to appreciate all of the other characters. I understood the value behind this book as well. Even though I disagreed with a lot of things (cloning for example), I still think it interesting to read about a very possible direction our world could be going in. What if we started cloning human beings just so they could be donors? Even if the clones aided in curing cancer and other diseases, it still isn't right to take a life and already map out a destiny for them. I'm very excited to discuss this book in class to see what others think. But overall, good choice in a book, Mr. Costello.

1 comment: